Michigan motor vehicle accident attorneys recently came across an interesting report released by *TomTom that measured
traffic congestion in more than 200 U.S. cities. The study revealed that
the City of Detroit is ranked as the 29th most traffic congested city.
In fact, the overall congestion level for Detroit, Michigan is 18%. This
was an increase of 5% from last year’s data.
The report was based on 2014 data and took into account local roads and highways.
Other interesting traffic facts the report revealed about Detroit, Michigan include:
- Detroit ranked 120 out of 146 for most traffic congestion when compared
against other large cities throughout the world.
- Delay per day with a 30 minute commute is 16 minutes.
- Delay per year with a 30 minute commute is 63 hours.
- Thursday was the worst weekday for traffic both morning and evening hours.
- Best day to commute during a weekday in the morning hours was Friday.
- Best day to commute during a weekday in the evening hours was Monday.
- Most congested day in 2014 was January 2nd.
Unfortunately with increased traffic not only comes more time being on
the road, but also more car accidents. And with traffic slowly increasing
every year in the city, it’s important that drivers are always following
the rules of the road and not driving distracted.
Distracted driving or driver inattention is in fact the leading cause of most crashes and
near-crashes, especially when there is traffic congestion.
The complete TomTom report, including U.S. city specific data, can be viewed at
To just view Detroit specific data, visit
*TomTom is a company that designs and develops innovative products that
help people travel. They are best known for their GPS navigation systems.
Do you know what to do if you were involved in a Michigan car accident?
Download our “Detroit Car Accident Checklist” today to learn important tips on how you can best protect yourself;
Or call our office today at
(248) 793-2010 if you or your family member was involved in a Detroit traffic accident.
Our Michigan car accident lawyers can answer your questions, explain your
rights, and determine if you have claim.