- May 19, 2015
- Bicycle Accidents
- Personal Injury
Even though the entire state of Michigan has a relatively small number of bike accidents each year, in 2014 there were still 1,749 crashes involving bicyclists. Most of these incidents involve some form of injury and some lead to death. In fact, Michigan’s Department of Transportation found that Michigan is ranked #19 nationally when it comes to fatalities from bicycle accidents.
For more about this data, visit the Michigan Department of Transportation Research Report.
- Majority of Michigan bicycle accidents happen on the road, with about half being at intersections.
- Most accidents occur on residential roads with 25 to 30 mph speed limits.
- Although fewer collisions happen on roads with higher speed limits, accidents occurring on roads of 45 mph or higher have about a 30% fatality rate.
- Compared to the rest of the nation, Michigan is home to more bicycle accidents involving minors than the national average.
Injuries from these crashes can be traumatic and life-altering, leaving a person out of work and buried in bills. Some of the most common types of injuries include head injuries, brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, facial injuries, broken bones and fractures. In some scenarios, death may be a result.
Since every collision is different the severity of injuries and types of injuries will differ. Several factors in the bicycle accident will determine yourt injuries. These factors include:
- The type of impact;
- Whether a helmet or other protection was worn at the time of the incident;
- Speed of the parties involved;
- Whether a car or any other type of motor vehicle was involved;
- The condition of the roadway or trail (i.e. broken sidewalk, potholes, no bike path, etc..)
Victims injured in a Michigan accident do have rights and may be able to file a claim for their injuries. To get a better understanding of your rights and the value of your claim, call our top-rated Detroit bicycle accident attorneys today at (248) 286-8100. We understand the laws that govern these types of collisions can be confusing. Our lawyers will be able to answer your questions, including who is responsible for your medical bills and explain your rights to you in a clear and understandable manner.
For over 30 years we have been helping injured clients and their families receive the compensation they deserve and get them back to living the life they are used to. If you or your loved one suffers serious injuries, call Goodman Acker P.C. today. We offer a free, no-obligation case review and guarantee personal first hand attention. Best of all, should you need legal representation we will represent you under our trusted no-win, no-fee promise, which means there are no legal fees or costs whatsoever until we win or settle your claim.