(248) 286-8100

In Light of COVID-19, We Are Still Open | Click Here For More Info

Go Back
post 1

How to Report Nursing Home Abuse in Michigan

Nursing home abuse and neglect is unfortunately far more common than most would believe. While families who discover that their loved one is a victim can face difficult and emotionally turbulent times, they should feel reassurance in knowing that there are procedures in place for reporting abuse or neglect in Michigan nursing facilities. Additionally, there are laws that protect the rights of victims and families, and allow them to pursue justice and compensation for their damages in the civil justice system.

At Goodman Acker, P.C., our Detroit nursing home abuse lawyers work personally with victims and their loved ones following acts of physical, emotional, financial, and sexual abuse in nursing homes, as well as cases involving unreasonable neglect. We support our clients through these tough times, and leverage over 75 years of collective experience to guide them through the administrative and legal pathways involved.

Reporting abuse is critical to protecting your loved one, holding staff and nursing facilities accountable, and protecting others who may fall victim to abuse or neglect when such conduct goes unaddressed. Should you wish to take steps to report abuse at a Michigan nursing home, take note of the following:

  • Notify the Nursing Home – Take allegations and suspicions seriously and report the incident immediately, in written form or verbally, to an authority in charge of the nursing care facility. This may be an administrator, nursing director, or another worker responsible for management.
  • Report to the authorities – In addition to reporting the incident to the facility, you should also report it to your local law enforcement agency, the State of Michigan LARA (Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs) Bureau of Health Care Services, and the Attorney General’s Health Care Fraud Division. These parties can provide you with procedural information and objectively look into the matter further. The Bureau of Health Services also has a nursing home abuse hotline, which you can find here.
  • Be prepared – When reporting abuse and filing a complaint, you will need to be prepared to provide as much detailed information as possible. This being the case, you should take steps to record all details of the incident(s). You can also work to gather any documentation and information that may serve as evidence to support your complaint and any future lawsuit you may choose to file. This can include information about the alleged offender, any witnesses who may have seen what happened, documented instances of abuse or neglect, photos of visible injuries or nursing home conditions, and other relevant information.
  • Call an attorney – Whether you report abuse or neglect immediately or choose to speak with legal representation first, an attorney is one of the best ways to ensure you have the guidance and support to navigate the process ahead. Additionally, our legal team works to protect your rights in pursuing civil lawsuits against the at-fault care provider, which can put you in position to hold them accountable and recover compensation for the damages suffered by your loved one and your family. Because time is a critical factor in these cases, reaching out to a lawyer as soon as possible should be a priority.

Timely action is critical in reporting abuse – both as a means to end and intervene in wrongful conduct and to initiate the process of asserting your legal rights. If you have questions about nursing home abuse and neglect at a facility in Detroit or anywhere the state of Michigan, Goodman Acker, P.C. is readily available to help. We offer free and confidential consultations, and can provide the information you need to better understand the steps ahead.

To request a free consultation with a member of our firm, contact us today.

Start Your Case Now

All Consultations are Free and Confidential

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.