//not the thank-you page What are my rights if injured in a Michigan bicycle accident? - Detroit Injury Lawyer
Michigan Lawyer Blog

What are my rights if injured in a Michigan bicycle accident?


Personal Injury Results






Bicycles on the roadway are, by law, vehicles with the same rights and responsibilities as motorized vehicles. In a perfect world, bicyclists and drivers would follow the rules of the road, drive without distractions, and safely share the road. Unfortunately, this is not always the case and even if it is, accidents do happen.

Even though Michigan has a relatively small number of bicyclists, it still ranked no. 19 nationally in 2014 for deaths in bicycle accidents. In addition, in 2014 there were 1,749 crashes, many of which resulted in serious injury. The majority of these accidents did involve another motor vehicle. So if you are a bicyclist riding your bike and are hit by a car or involved in a car accident, what are your rights?

AAt Goodman Acker P.C. our Detroit bicycle accident lawyers receive this question all the time. To help, our attorneys have answered this question in a clear and understandable manner. However, you must know that every state is different when it comes to the law governing bicycle accidents and what a victim is able to get compensated for.

In Michigan, most bicycle accidents involve motor vehicles. If a victim is involved in a bike accident with a car or any other type of motor vehicle such as a motorcycle, truck, or bus they are entitled to certain rights and may be able to recover from the incident in two ways.

He or she may be able make a no-fault insurance claim for their economic losses and a pain and suffering claim for their non-economic losses.

A no-fault insurance claim will compensate you for many of your economic losses, including payment for your lost income or wages, reimbursement for your medical bills and mileage to and from appointments, pay to get help around the house and more. To file a no-fault insurance claim, you will first seek compensation from your own auto insurance company. If you do not have an auto no-fault insurance policy, you can then file either with your spouse's insurance company or relative living under the same household. If none of these options are available, there are other sources an injured bicyclist can look to to collect no-fault benefits, such as the Michigan's Assigned Claims Facility. For those who have a lost a loved one as result of a Michigan bicycle-car accident, surviving family members may also be able to file a no-fault claim for survivor loss benefits.

The second type of claim you may be able to file is called a pain and suffering claim or negligence claim. This claim will go to the insurance company of the driver and/or owner of the involved vehicle and will compensate you for the injuries you suffer.

Our Detroit injury attorneys can get you the compensation you deserve from a bicycle-car accident. Call now to learn about your rights as a bicyclist and get your questions answered by our trusted attorneys at Goodman Acker P.C. If you find that you have a claim and need legal representation, we offer a no-win, no-fee guarantee, which means you will not be charged any legal fees or costs until we win or settle your claim. Call Goodman Acker P.C. today at (248) 286-8100 to get the legal help you need. We will be able to answer your questions and review your case free of charge.