- February 28, 2019
- Car Accidents
- Personal Injury
However, due to the serious nature of these collisions, it is absolutely crucial to stay away from dangerous distractions while behind the wheel. In an effort to shine light on the situation, our firm has identified some of the most common reasons for distracted driving. To prevent future accidents, or to identify the cause of a recent crash, discover some of the most common causes of driver distraction.
Distracted driving often occurs because of the following reasons:
- Cellphone Use: It’s no secret that cell phones can be distracting, and numerous studies have proven just how dangerous these devices are when used by drivers. Regardless of the danger, drivers across the U.S. send text messages, make calls, take pictures, and scroll through social media while driving, causing countless motor vehicle accidents each year.
- Vehicle Technology: Whether you’re attempting to adjust the car radio, change a playlist, turn up the air conditioning, or handle some other type of central control issue, our cars can be as dangerous as they are advanced. These technological advancements can be extremely convenient, but fiddling with them while we’re behind the wheel is unwise. Anything that pulls your attention from the road is dangerous, even if it’s only for a moment.
- Activity Inside the Vehicle: If you have friends, children, or pets who ride in the care with you, it’s very likely they will distract you at some point. The atmosphere within your car should be as calm and controlled as possible to better enable you, the driver, to focus your attention on the road. If you must, pull over and address any distractions while the vehicle is stopped.
- Multitasking: Eating while driving, putting on makeup, or trying to perform some other task while driving isn’t as rare as one might think. Every day, people rush off to work or to an appointment and they attempt to get a few last-minute things done while in the car, which can be extremely hazardous.
- Lost in Thought: Unfortunately, many accidents occur each year simply because one driver became lost in thought. When our minds wander, we aren’t able to provide our full attention to the task at hand. When that task is driving, the consequences of the driver’s inattention can be extremely hefty.
Distracted driving accidents can be extremely dangerous, and often lead to severe injuries and costly damage. If you or someone you love was harmed in an accident with a distracted driver, our firm is prepared to help you seek compensation from the negligent party.
Contact Goodman Acker P.C. to discuss your case with our Detroit distracted driver accident lawyers.