- March 8, 2021
- Goodman Acker P.C.
- In the News
- Personal Injury
Michigan Lawyers Weekly is an independent publication that provides the latest news in the world of Michigan law. The editorial board of the newspaper annually selects 20 attorneys to be inducted into their Hall of Fame. Specifically, the Hall of Fame awards honor legal professionals in the state over the age of 60 who are an example of leadership and success in their practice and other endeavors.
Barry Goodman has been practicing law since 1977, when he graduated cum laude from Stetson University College of Law in Gulfport, Florida. He has maintained his licensure with the Florida Bar Association since that time and achieved additional licensure from the Michigan Bar Association in 1979.
In his long career that now spans 44 years, he started as an associate performing civil trial litigation before moving up to becoming an associate then eventual partner in 1988 at the plaintiffs’ personal injury firm in Southfield. Today, he is the founding and managing partner of the personal injury law firm of Goodman Acker, P.C. With locations in Southfield and Grand Rapids, Michigan, Goodman works tirelessly to represent those seriously injured in personal injury accident matters.
Goodman has received multiple awards in excess of $1 million dollars for his clients. One of the most notable cases was in 2001 when a client was seriously injured by a manhole cover that broke through her windshield while she was driving. Goodman and his team were able to get her a $14 million settlement with the utility company responsible for the gross oversight.
With so many decades under his belt, Goodman can lay claim to an extensive list of professional and civic activities including:
- Executive Board, Michigan Association for Justice (approx. 1988 – present)
- Member then Chair, Negligence Section of the State Bar of Michigan (2006 – 2008)
- Member, Executive Board, Anti-Defamation League (approx. 1992 – present)
- Vice-President, Anti- Defamation League (approx. 1996 – 2000)
- Officer, Michigan Democratic Party (approx. 2002 – present)
- Member, Democratic National Committee (2012 to present) Member, DNC Rules and Bylaws Committee (2017 – 2020)
Goodman’s passion for politics is further reflected in his fundraising activities. He was on the National Finance Committees for Biden, Clinton, Obama, and Kerry. He also served as Finance Co-Chair for Granholm and Bernero, and most recently as Finance Chair for Whitmer.
His long-spanning career has included a wide array of community involvement. The firm instituted “gun buy back days,” rehabbed a school in Detroit, worked with Habitat for Humanity, and held fundraisers to help homeless veterans. Goodman’s amazing work has been recognized with countless awards including:
- Michigan Association for Justice - Champion of Justice Award (2010)
- Oakland County Democratic Party - Wings of Justice Award (2010)
- Michigan Super Lawyers (2007 through 2020)
- National Trial Lawyers – Top 100 Lawyers
- Michigan Lawyers Weekly – 2015 Leaders in the Law Award
- Hour Magazine – Top Lawyers Award
Congratulations to our founding and managing partner Barry Goodman! His professional and civic activities, community and fundraising efforts, and awards, along with time tested skills, passion, and commitment to justice makes him the ideal candidate to become a member of Michigan Lawyers Weekly's 2021 Hall of Fame class.