- August 4, 2014
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Personal Injury
If you ride, you should know what to do in the immediate aftermath should you be involved in a motorcycle accident. At the law firm of Goodman Acker, P.C. our Michigan motorcycle accident lawyers see the outcomes of these types of accidents every day during the riding season. As a resource, we have provided some helpful tips on what to do after a motorcycle accident in Michigan.
These tips include:
- Check for Injuries: The first thing you should do, if you are able to, is to make sure everyone is alright including yourself. If you or anyone needs medical attention call 911 immediately.
- Get out of the roadway: Depending on where the accident happened, it’s important that your bike and all other motor vehicles involved move out of the roadway if possible. Oftentimes, where the accident happened is not the safest location and it’s important you move off of the road to a safe location. Remember to use hazard lights to warn oncoming traffic.
- Call the Cops and File an Accident Report: If anyone is injured or there is significant property damage it is important that you call the cops and make an accident report. The accident report will be key evidence should you decide to file a Michigan motorcycle accident claim.
- Exchange information with the other driver involved in the motorcycle accident: You should capture the other driver’s name, address, phone number, the insurance company, policy number, driver license number, and license plate number to the driver and the owner of the vehicle.
- Get witnesses' names and contact information: Witnesses may also play a key part should you decide to file a lawsuit and it is important that you have a list of all individuals who witnessed the motorcycle accident, including any comments by them.
These tips are important after involvement in an accident, however, our attorneys understand that depending on how seriously you have been hurt, these steps may be difficult. Above all else, your first concern should be the medical attention that is needed for you or anyone else involved in the motorcycle accident.
Of course, after the initial shock of the accident is over and you have gotten the immediate medical attention you needed, you probably have several other questions concerning your rights. These questions may include who is responsible for my medical bills or should I take a settlement from the insurance company.
At the law firm of Goodman Acker, our Michigan motorcycle accident attorneys represent motorcyclists and bike passengers, such as yourself, who were injured in an accident. If you or someone you care about was recently injured and have some questions regarding your rights call our law firm today at(248) 286-8100.
Our lawyers are happy to answer any questions you may have and we also offer a free, no-obligation case consultation where we will review your case, explain your rights, and determine if you have a case or not. Call today to get the help you need and deserve. For over 30 years, our firm has helped injured motorcyclists get back on their feet and obtain the maximum settlement for their injuries. We can do the same for you! Call now! There is never a charge or obligation for our initial consultation.