Top 5 Mistakes People Make After a Truck AccidentBy Goodman Acker P.C. | October 06, 2017
Being involved in a commercial truck accident is a scary and stressful experience. Many people are not prepared, and make decisions that put their ability to seek compensation in jeopardy. After an accident, there are several common mistakes you should avoid. Our firm has guided numerous clients to successful financial solutions for injuries sustained in truck accidents. We can discuss your options and provide informative legal guidance from start to finish.
What are the top 5 mistakes people make after being involved in a truck accident?
- Failing to seek medical attention. Many people, if they don’t feel pain, do not go to see a doctor after an accident. However, if symptoms do appear at a later time and you try to pursue compensation, the insurance company may say that your injuries were not caused by the accident. By seeing a doctor as soon as possible after an accident, you can make sure you don’t have soft tissue injuries or other conditions that may not display symptoms for hours, days, or even weeks after the accident. It is also important to request copies of your medical records to provide evidence of the extent, nature, and cost of your injuries.
- Failing to gather evidence at the scene. If you are involved in a truck accident, it is important to begin gathering evidence to build your case right away. You should take pictures of all the damage to both vehicles, and write down the contact information of witnesses. In addition, you can request a copy of the police report, and write down everything you can remember about the accident, including the time of day, road conditions, and order of events. By gathering evidence right away, you can support your argument in court and help maximize the amount of compensation you may be entitled to.
- Settling with the insurance company immediately. Insurance adjusters may offer an initial settlement award in the hopes of getting you to agree to a lesser amount than you deserve. In fact, insurance companies often use many different tactics to pay the lowest amount possible. It is important to remember that the insurance adjuster is not your friend. Furthermore, if you take a settlement right away but then suffer complications from your injuries, you will be unable to pursue further compensation once you sign the agreement. Thus, it is important to wait, seek medical attention, and obtain experienced representation before accepting a settlement.
- Waiting too long to file a claim. Different states have different time limits on personal injury claims. This is known as the statute of limitations. In Michigan, the statute of limitations for pursuing a personal injury claim for a truck accident is 3 years. This means you have 3 years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit and seek a financial settlement. If you wait longer than 3 years, you will most likely be unable to obtain compensation. This statute of limitations applies to both personal injury and wrongful death lawsuits.
- Posting on social media about the details of the case. Anything you say on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or other social media platforms may be used against you by insurance adjusters. For example, if you tell your friends and family that you are fine after being involved in a truck accident, and then try to pursue compensation for injuries, the insurance company may say that your injuries are not as bad as you claim. Furthermore, if others post pictures of you having fun at a party, and you are trying to obtain a settlement for emotional distress, the insurance adjuster can use the social media posts against your argument. Thus, it is important to stay off of social media, or to at least make sure the privacy settings are at the highest level before letting your friends and family know you are safe.
Seek a Favorable Outcome with the Help of Our Lawyers
With more than 75 years of combined legal experience, Goodman Acker P.C. represents clients who have been injured in truck accidents. Our firm works hard to meet the legal needs of each client. We can do our best to tailor a unique and effective strategy for your case. Whatever your situation, our Detroit truck accident attorneys can provide informative and thorough representation.
Contact us today to schedule a free case review, and discuss your case with one of our dedicated advocates.